Building & Safety


7:30 AM TO 2:00PM 

We are using the Qless queue management system. Customers can join our virtual line to receive services.

Check in at the following site:





PLANNING DIVISION: 323 563-9565 One set of architectural plans is required for review. Fees apply (Must obtain approval before to submitting to Building and Safety)

PUBLIC WORKS: 323 357-5814

Valuations for projects HIGHER than $50,000.00 or over 800 sq ft. require Public Works review and approval. The valuation is based on the scope of work.

Once approved by Planning and Public works, you may submit to Building & Safety.

Building and Safety plan submittal shall include:

  1. One approved Planning conceptual set.
  2. One digital set of architectural, structural plans and structural calculations (if applicable, may not be required for a conversion), Title-24, 2019 Cal Green mandatory measures, Plumbing Schematics are required for all new residential units, and accessory dwelling units (ADU’s, Jr ADU’s) and all additions greater than 499 sq ft. (Plumbing Schematics/isometrics (must include hot and cold water lines, gas lines, and vent/drainage of existing dwelling(s) and new unit(s), Electrical Load Calcs (calculations shall include existing dwellings and new). Must also show a complete floor plan of existing dwelling(s) (house). If the structure will have separate meters, you must show all existing meters and all new meter locations – IF YOUR SUBMITTAL IS INCOMPLETE ADDITIONAL FEES APPLY

3.  Starting July 01, 2021, all new detached units (ADU & SB9) must submit solar plans. Separate application and fees apply.

Once approved and before the issuance of permits we need the following:

 **Final sets of plans must match Public Works and Planning approval sets, or revisions must be submitted **

  • Completely fill out a 2-page MEP worksheet and send back to us to calculate all fees (one per structure)
  • Public Works approval
  • Planning final approval stamp
  • School fees will need to be paid for conversions, new construction or additions over 500 ft. (make arrangements to pick up school fee forms from our office)
  • LA County Sanitation form- obtain clearance and send/bring back to our division. Submit an online application LACO-Sanitation-form.pdf(PDF, 518KB) via email. Submit plans for their review at Email:  Call LA County Sanitation if you have any questions at (562) 908-4288 Ext. 2727
  • Southern California Edison approval is strongly recommended – Contact Edison for meter spotting, checking clearance to power lines and easements. CALL 1-800-655-4555 
  • AQMD approval or explanation on why you don’t need this review. South Coast Air Quality Management (for demolitions and compliance of clean air standards). (909) 396-2336
  • WRRP form WRRP-Universal-Waste-System-form.doc(DOC, 64KB) and Contract with Universal Waste for construction debris (to avoid 5% deposit FEE) (562) 205-4963 or 
If you obtain a contract with the City designated hauler and you decide to cancel and do it by owner, you will need to provide documentation showing all receipts and that you met all the recycle requirements otherwise a final inspection will not be approved until all fees are paid based on the recycle percentage not met.
  • After passing the final inspection of the permit for which C&D debris recycling deposit was paid, the applicant can request a refund. The total C&D debris recycling deposit paid for the permit may be returned to the applicant if 65% or more of all C&D debris was recycled and/or reused. Refunds for projects recycling less than the required amount will be pro-rated according to the recycling rate achieved by the specific project.
The permit applicant must submit the following within 180 days of passing final inspection:
  • A copy of the completed WRRP form, if not already submitted with.
  • Evidence, including all recycling, documentation, which clearly demonstrates that the C&D debris generated by the project was recycled at the applicable recycling rate. THE RECEIPTS MUST SHOW THAT THE MATERIALS RECYCLED CAME FROM SOUTH GATE
Bring or mail the completed WRRP form and all documentation to:
City of South Gate
8650 California Ave.
South Gate, CA 90280
Attention: Building and Safety/Olivia Martinez
Requests submitted after 180 days of passing the final inspection date will not be eligible for a refund. In 180 days, incomplete requests that do not submit additional documentation or proof will not be eligible for the refund. PLEASE ALLOW 6- 10 WEEKS TO PROCESS REFUND. If you have any questions, please call between 7-9 a. m. Monday through Thursday (323)563-9549 to speak to your Building Inspector or Building Official.


•      Information on who is doing the work/project, owner, or contractor, see below.

For owner builder issued permit:

We need a copy of ID/Driver’s showing the owner resides on the property. Property must have 2 units or less. Provide Workers Compensation insurance if you will have people from outside of your household helping you. If a company or an LLC owns the property, you will need a licensed contractor.

For a Contractor issued permit: Contractors must obtain/renew a City of South Gate Business License. Contact the Business License Division at 323 563-9544 or 323 563-9545. Provide a copy of the current license with fees paid based on the $ valuation for the project. Contractors will need to provide their state license card, ID/Driver’s License, and a copy of workers comp. If you are an agent for the contractor, provide a notarized authorization letter. Subcontractors must also obtain a business license.



Proceso de Revision de Planos para la División de Construccion y Seguridad

Tu Proyecto Requiere Que Se Someta Digitalmente y Aprobación de Las Siguientes Divisiones
División de Planeación: 323-563-9565
Incluya un set de planos architecturales, serán necesarios para revisión. Y se aplican cargos.
 (Se requiere aprobación de Construcciones y Seguridad ante de someter planos)
Obras Publicas: 323-357-5814
Trabajo evaluado que supercide $50,000.00 o 800 pies cuadrados, requiere aprobación y revisión de Obras Publicas. La evaluación esta basada en el trabajo hecho.
Según exista la aprobación de Planeación y Obras Publicas, uno puede someter el trabajo/planos a Construcciones y Seguridad
Para someter un trabajo a Construcciones y Seguridad se requiere lo siguiente:
  1. Un set conceptual, aprobado por la división de Planeación.
  2. Un set digital de lo siguiente:
    1. Planos architecurales, estructurales, y cálculos estructurales (si se aplica, porque puede que no se requiere para una conversión), Titulo-24, medidas obligatorias 2019 Cal-Green, esquemáticos de plomería que son requeridos para todas las nuevas unidades residenciales y unidades de vivienda complementarias (ADU’s, Jr ADU’s) y todas las adiciones que superen los 499 pies cuadrados (Esquemáticos de tubería/plomería (tienen que incluir líneas de agua helada y caliente, líneas de gas, y aperturas de ventilación/drenaje de la unidad(es) existente(s) y las nuevas unidad(es)), Calculaciones de Carga Eléctrica (las calculaciones deben incluir las unidad(es) existentes y nuevas).  Además tienen que demonstrar un esquema de piso, completo, de la vivienda(s) existente(s)(de la casa). Si la nueva estructura va a tener medidores separados, tienes que demostrar todos los medidores existentes y todas las nuevas ubicaciones de los medidores nuevos – SI SOMETE PLANOS DE CONSTRUCCION INCOMPLETOS, CARGOS ADICIONALES SERAN APLICADOS.
  3. Empezando Julio 1ro de el 2021; todas las nuevas unidades de vivienda separadas (ADU & SB9) tienen que someter planos solares. Sera una aplicación separada y cargos adicionales se aplican.  

Según tengas aprobación y antes de que se otorgue el permiso necesitamos lo siguiente.

**Sets finales de los planos tienen que coincidir con los sets aprobados de Planeación y Obras Publicas o cualquier otra revisión sometida**
  • Llene completamente la forma de dos-paginas MEP y regrésela para que calculemos todos los cargos (una por estructura).
  • Aprobación de Planeación con el sello final.
  • Aprobación de Obras Publicas.
  • Cargos escolares serán pagados para conversiones, construcción nueva o adiciones que superen los 500 pies cuadrados. (haga cita para recoger la forma de cargos escolares de nuestra oficina).
  • Formulario de Sanidad de el Condado de Los Ángeles – obtenga aprobación y regrésenos la información. Someta la aplicación LACO-Sanitation-form.pdf(PDF, 518KB) en línea vía correo-electrónico. Someta planos para la revisión en . Y vía correo electrónico:  Llame a oficina de Sanidad del Condado de Los Ángeles con cualquiera de sus preguntas (562) 908-4288.
  • Aprobación de Southern California Edison es recomendado– Contacte a Edison para la ubacion de el medidor, inspección/autorización de líneas de electricidad y de derecho de acceso a propiedad de otras personas. LLAME A 1-800-655-4555
Si obtienes un contrato con la cuidad para un contenedor designado y si decides cancelar y hacerlos por medios de el/la dueña, tienes que proveer documentación que demuestre todos los recibos que has reconocido todos los requisitos para el reciclaje. Si no, la inspección final, no será aprobada hasta que todos cobros sean pagado basados en el porcentaje de reciclaje que no se haiga cumplido.
  • Después de tener aprobación de la inspección final, para el permiso por el cual CyD depósito de basura/reciclaje fue pagado, el/la persona que aplico puede pedir un reembolso. El total del depósito de basura y reciclaje de CyD pagado para el permiso será regresado hacia la persona que aplico si el o mas de el 65% de toda la basura fue reciclada y/o reusada. Reembolsos para proyectos de reciclaje que no superen el requisito mínimo será regresado a una cuota que refleje el precio otorgado por el porcentaje de reciclaje hecho por este proyectó especifico.
  • La persona que aplica por el permiso tiene que someter lo siguiente dentro de 180 días de la aprobación de la inspección final:
    • 1. Una copia de la forma WRRP finalizada, si es ya no está sometida.
    • 2. Pruebas, que incluyen documentación sobre todo el reciclaje, que demuestre claramente que la basura generada por el proyectó fue reciclada por una tarifa de reciclaje aplicable. LOS RECIBOS TIENEN QUE DEMOSTRAR QUE LOS MATERIALES RECICLADOS VIENEN DE LA CIUDAD DE SOUTH GATE.
Traiga o mande por correo la forma WRRP y toda la documentación a:
City of South Gate
8650 California Ave.
South Gate, CA 90280
Attention: Building and Safety/Olivia Martinez
Pedidos sometidos después de 180 dias después de la fecha de la última inspección (o inspección final) no serán elegibles para un reembolso. En 180 días, pedidos incompletos que no tengan documentación adicional o comprobantes, no serán elegible para el reembolso.
Si tiene cualquier pregunta, haga el favor de llamar entre las 7ª-9ª Lunes a Jueves al (323) 563-9549 para hablar con el Oficial de Construcciones de la Cuidad o el Inspector.
  • Información a cerca de la persona(s) haciendo el trabajo/proyecto, dueño o contratista, lea abajo.

Para permisos en los cuales el dueño va hacer el trabajo (owner-builder):
Necesitamos una copia del ID/Licencia de Manejar que demuestre, que el dueño vive en la propiedad. La propiedad debe tener 2 unidades o menos. También tiene que demostrar una póliza de aseguranza de compensación de el trabajador, si uno va a tener gente fuera de su vivienda haciendo el trabajo. SI la propiedad esta adueñada por una compañía o un LLC, necesitaras un contratista licenciado.
Para los permisos otorgado hacia los Contratistas: Ellos/as tienen que obtener/renovar su Licencia de Negocio de la Ciudad de South Gate. Favor de contactar a la División de Licencias de Negocio en el 323-563-9544 o 323-563-9545. Favor de proveer una copia de su licencia actual con todos los cargos pagados, basados en la cifra monetaria de la evaluación del proyectó. Contratistas tendrán que proveer su tarjeta de licencia estatal, su ID/Licencia de Manejar y una copia de compensación del trabajador. Si eren un agente de el contratista, tienes que proveer una carta notarizada que te da la autorización. Los Subcontratistas también tienen que obtener una licencia de negocio con la ciudad.



Building Permits & Inspections

Online Permit Counter

City of South Gate allows homeowners, contractors and general public conducting business in the City of South Gate to view and track details of various permits and cases online with a free user account.

The Online Permit Counter provides the following services:

  • Check Permit and Plan Check status
  • Check Inspection Results
  • Review Project related financial data

Visit the online permit counter at


Building and construction permits are typically required for any home improvement, repair, alteration, construction, or demolition project, including pool or spa installations, sandblasting, most excavations and erection of temporary structures such as temporary power poles. Permits are also required for re-roofing projects and improvements to plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems.

The city is currently enforcing the following building, fire, safety and related codes:

  • 2022 California Administrative Code
  • 2022 California Building Code (Volume I and II)
  • 2022 California Residential Code
  • 2022 California Plumbing Code
  • 2022 California Electrical Code
  • 2022 California Mechanical Code
  • 2022 California Energy Code
  • 2022 California Green Building Standards Code
  • 2022 California Existing Building Code
  • 2022 California Historical Code
  • 2022 California Referenced Standards Code
  • South Gate Municipal Code, Title 9


New construction, alterations, remodels are inspected to ensure that it meets compliance with the current California building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, energy, and green building standards codes.

To contact the Building and Safety Division regarding scheduling inspections or permits please call 323-563-9549 Monday through Thursday.





The Building and Safety Division ensures that new and remodeled construction conforms with state law and city ordinances that relate to structural, fire, health, and life safety requirements. This is accomplished through the review of plans and inspections.

Virtual Services

Online Permit Counter

The City of South Gate allows homeowners, contractors and the general public conducting business in the City of South Gate to view and track details of various permits and cases online with a free user account.

The Online Permit Counter provides the following services:

  • Check Permit and Plan Check status
  • Check Inspection Results
  • Review Project related financial data

To visit the online permit counter click here.

Property Information Portal

The Property Information Portal is a GIS tool that allows the public to view zoning information, permits, and County Assessor information in a single platform.

To visit the Property Information Portal click here.

Public Counter Service Hours

Public counter for Building and Safety is open for walk-ins Monday - Thursday 7:30 am to 2:00 PM (City Hall is closed on Fridays).

Payments are accepted in cash, check and credit card. There is an ATM available at City Hall).

Building Inspectors are available during regular business days from 7 a.m. - 9 a.m.

Contact Staff

Permits and Plans

Name Title Email Phone
Martinez, Olivia Sr. Community Development Technician Email


Cardenas, Enith Community Development Technician III Email 323-563-9583
Barraza, Javier Community Development Technician II Email 323-563-9555
Varela, Sandra Community Development Technician II  Email 323-563-9558


Name Title Email Phone
Murillo, Jesus Sr. Building Inspector Email


Bennett, David Building Inspector Email 323-357-5828
Berrios, David Building Inspector Email 323-563-9547

Additional Resources

2022 California Building Code Updates