- 6:30 p.m.
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month
- City Hall
8650 California Avenue
South Gate, CA 90280
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are prepared prior to each meeting, minutes are available following approval.
Each of the 5 City Council Members are elected at-large to serve staggered 4-year terms of office. Meet your City Council Members:
Each year the 5 City Council Members select a presiding officer to serve as Mayor. In addition, City Council Members serve as the chair members for the City Manager as to the current and future direction of the city.
Fiscal Year Priorities
Each fiscal year, the City Council sets strategic goals. For Fiscal Year 2022-2023, the council prioritized:
- Continue to monitor the completion of the Urban Orchard, a new park adjacent to the LA River
- Work with other Southeast communities to support the SELA Cultural Arts Center Project
- Continue to lobby federal and state legislators on bills that impact the community and oppose all efforts to reduce local control
- Implement the City’s adopted vision statement and strategic plan goals of Workforce Development; Communication; and Fiscal Sustainability
- Continue to engage local school districts to ensure our children are receiving the best educational opportunities that will prepare them for tomorrow’s challenges
- Support the construction of the East Los Angeles Community College – South Gate Campus construction and opening scheduled for 2024
- Support methods to improve the use of technology to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of city services
- Increase the availability of affordable housing opportunities for the community
- Advocate for funding for city services and capital improvement needs
- Support efforts to obtain funding to ensure the Emergency Operations Center so the continuance of government is maintained during significant events
Annually, the City Council approves the City's Legislative Platform. The Legislative Platform is a summary of locally approved policy statements that provide a framework for the City's response to federal, state and regional legislation.
2022 Legislative Platform(PDF, 10MB)