Restraining Orders

According to the Judicial Council of California/Administrative Office of the Courts, here's what a restraining order can and cannot do.

What a Restraining Order Can Do

A restraining order is a court order. It can order the restrained person to:

  • Follow child custody and visitation orders
  • Move out of your house (even if you live together)
  • Not contact or go near you, your children, other relatives, or others who live with you
  • Not have a gun
  • Pay certain bills
  • Pay child support
  • Pay spousal or partner support (if you are married or domestic partners)
  • Release or return certain property
  • Stay away from any of your pets
  • Stay away from your home, work, or your children’s schools


Recording Restraining Orders

Once the court issues (makes) a restraining order, the order is entered into a statewide computer system (called CLETS) that all law enforcement officers have access to and your restraining order works anywhere in the United States. If you move out of California, contact your new local police so they will know about your orders.

Out of State Orders

If you move to California with a restraining order from another state, or if you have a restraining order issued by a tribal court (in California or elsewhere in the U.S.), your restraining order will be valid anywhere in California and the police will enforce it. If you want your restraining order to be entered into California’s statewide domestic violence computer system, you can register your order with the court.

Fill out and take an Order to Register Out-of-State or Tribal Court Protective/Restraining Order (CLETS) (Form DV-600) (PDF) to your local court. Take a certified copy of your order with you. But keep in mind that you are not required to register your out-of-state or tribal court restraining order. A valid order is enforceable even if you do not register it.

What a Restraining Order Cannot Do

A restraining order cannot end your marriage or domestic partnership. It is not a divorce. Restraining orders can't establish parentage (paternity) of your children with the restrained person (if you are not married to, or in a domestic partnership with, him or her).

Court Protective Orders (Restraining Orders)

Courts may issue protective orders, also known as restraining orders, directing an abuser to stop harassing, and to "keep away" from a victim and/or the victim's children.

Emergency Protective Order (EPO)

When the police are called to the scene of a domestic violence incident, they may call a judge on a 24- hour basis and obtain a temporary protective order for the victim by telephone.

Temporary Restraining Order (TRO)

Also known as Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO), a victim may go on his/her own to a local courthouse and request a civil protective order at no cost. Many courts have staff members available to help with the filing process. For help and instructions on obtaining a domestic violence restraining order, call the LA County Superior Court at 213-974-5587.

Criminal Protective Order (CPO)

When a criminal case if filed, the court may, on its own motion or at the prosecutor’s request, issue appropriate protective orders. Criminal orders have priority over any conflicting civil and dependency court orders.

Out-of-State Domestic Violence Protective Order

A victim entering California with a protective order issued by another state will be afforded protection here provided certain conditions are met. The victim must register the out-of-state order with the local superior court.

Restraining Order & Family Law Information

All of these orders and forms can be found at Norwalk Courthouse:

12720 Norwalk Boulevard
Norwalk, CA 90650
Phone: 562-807-7256