Get prepared for heavy rain, winds
Published on August 20, 2023
Hurricane Hilary, a storm brewing off Mexico’s Pacific coast, is not expected to have hurricane strength when it makes landfall this weekend, but is likely to bring several inches of rain, rough surf, and dangerous winds to L.A. County, beginning late Sunday through Monday. The bulk of the flooding concerns will be concentrated in the desert areas east of us and along portions of the coastal region.
Rain showers will begin on Sunday, with the heaviest rain forecast to fall late Sunday into Monday.
Here are tips for keeping your family and your property safe:
In your car...
- Avoid driving during a downpour if you can.
- Never drive through a flooded roadway (or walk across a flowing stream of water).
- Park your car in your raised driveway when a heavy downpour is expected. You don't want your car to be accidentally flooded parked alongside a gutter with high water.
- Watch for utility workers working near roadways during storms.
- Slow down at intersections, especially those with non-working signal lights, and treat them as stop signs.
- Garages are the most vulnerable to flooding. Raise valuable items off the floor. Use sandbags if you think your garage or ground-level rooms are at risk.
- L. A. County Fire Stations should have sandbags, while supplies last. Contact Home Depot to purchase sand or other alternatives.
- Check trees that may have weak limbs that could fall in a storm.
- Keep pets inside and ensure they have shelter from the storm.
- Be prepared for possible power outages. Check your flashlights and replace the batteries if needed. Make sure your cellphone is fully charged.
Street sweeping information
Street sweeping will NOT take place on Monday, August 21, 2023. Trash collection will continue as normal. South Gate PD will not issue citations for street sweeping/trash collection but will resume enforcing all parking violations on Tuesday, August 22nd.
No school for LAUSD students on August 21, 2023.
South East High School is a Grab and Go Meal Distribution Site on Monday, August 21st from 11:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Families will receive 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, and supper) for each student. Additional information can be accessed here.
LAUSD Family Hotline: If families and students need additional help, they may contact the LAUSD Family Hotline at (213) 443-1300 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m
Parks and Recreation Update
Due to the inclement weather all park facilities will be closed on Monday, August 21. Recreation programs and classes will be cancelled.
How to stay informed
It's a good idea to follow the City of South Gate's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts now to stay informed of current news and helpful safety tips. In an emergency, it becomes essential as we will post official information and updates.
Special Edition E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-newsletter to receive information in your inbox.