Pay Your Bills

Utility bills are sent out to all properties in South Gate on a monthly basis. The residential bill contains your charges for water consumption, trash pickup, street sweeping, and sewer maintenance. Trash pickup is billed directly by the waste hauler for commercial properties. For water billing questions please call the service counter at 323-563-9586. It is important that you leave a message to get a call back. If your call is not answered it is due to employees helping customers in line at the service counter.

How to Pay a Utility Bill

Utility bills can be paid at the service counter at City Hall, using the drop boxes both outside and inside City Hall, by sending a payment through the mail, or online.

To register for Online Billing visit our Online Payments website and click on “New Users”.

Payment Types Accepted: MC, Visa, Discovery, and Personal Checking Account
If you are making a payment through your bank or a check cashing service please allow for a 7-10 day period to fully process.

If paying by mail, a check made payable to the City of South Gate can be sent to:
P.O. Box 1429
South Gate, CA 90280
Note: Do not send cash through the mail or in the drop box.

Pay Water Bill

Water Assistance Program

Residents of South Gate who utilize the City’s water system may qualify for one-time assistance through the Low Income Household Water Assistance (LIHWAP) Program reducing their water charges by up to $2,000.

The program is intended to help pay past-due balances of the household’s residential water bill. There is no date restriction for when the past due amount occurred, and the program will operate through August 31, 2023.  

How Do I Apply?

Households can apply for LIHWAP assistance through their local LIHWAP service provider, Long Beach Community Action Partnership.

To learn more about how to apply, contact Long Beach Community Action Partnership by calling (888) 351-4061 or visiting their website. For additional questions, please contact the water billing department at (323) 563-9586.

Contesting a Water Bill

If you believe that your water bill is inaccurate, you may request a meter re-read within 30 days of the date of the bill by calling the Utility Bill Payments office at 323-563-9586. After 30 days the city cannot read the meter for the period in question.

Nonpayment of Bill

If a utility payment is not received by the due date on the bill, a delinquent notice will be issued which will allow an additional 30 days from the due date to pay. A late payment is also added to your account. If payment is not received by the due date on the delinquent notice, water service will be turned off the following day - there are no exceptions.

In order to restore service, cash or a cashier’s check payment for the delinquent charges, and a reconnection fee must be paid by 4 p.m. in order to restore your services that same day. If payment is received before 4 p.m., water service will be restored by 5 p.m.

Discontinuation of Water Service

Reestablishing Service

As noted on the Turn off Notice, if a payment is not received within 7 days, your meter will be pulled and an additional charge of $204.28 to restore the meter will be required for service. In addition to your delinquent amount, this $204.28 will not be applied to your final bill as it is for used the meter pull and reset of labor.

Warning: Adding a jumper to a pulled meter pipe is considered stealing and will be prosecuted as such.

Changes to Trash Collection Account

Trash collection in the City of South Gate is handled by Waste Management. For all trash-related questions and changes to your trash collection service, call Waste Management at 800-774-0222 or visit their website.