The Parks and Recreation Department offers transit services for South Gate residents. The office is located in the Sports Center at South Gate Park, in front of the tennis courts. Service is available only via service window located to the left of the front doors.

Browse the following for more information on each program:

Covid testing booking information in SpanishCovid testing booking information(PDF, 155KB)

Spanish Version

Covid testing booking information in Spanish(PDF, 155KB)


Get Around Town Express (GATE)


Where can I get route maps?

Gate maps are located both on the buses and in the Transit Office located inside the Sports Center in South Gate Park:
9520 Hildreth Avenue
South Gate, CA 90280

Maps are also available online: GATE Route Map (PDF)(PDF, 2MB)

Does the GATE operate during holidays?

The GATE does not operate during the following holidays: Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Memorial Day. For more information please call 323-563-5754.

Are there any other special discounts?

The “Ride the GATE to Work for Free Program” allows certain individuals to ride at no charge. This includes high school and college/vocational students, and any employee with a valid identification card. Enrollment is not necessary. Identification card must be presented to driver at time of boarding. Call 323-563-5754 to learn more.

Metro Services


What is a TAP card and why do I need one?

Metro no longer issues stickers. Everyone wishing to purchase a monthly fare is required to obtain a Transit Access Pass (TAP) card. TAP cards can be electronically loaded with your monthly fare at the Transit Office 9520 Hildreth Avenue. Please call 323-563-5754 for more information.

How do I purchase my monthly bus fare through the City of South Gate?

South Gate residents with eligible bus passes (Reduced Fare TAP cards) may purchase their monthly bus fare at the Transit Office (9520 Hildreth Avenue) by presenting their South Gate METRO card and bus pass (TAP card). Eligible passes include Senior/Disabled, K-12 and College/Vocational passes. General fare passes are not sold at the Transit Office. Please call 323-563-5754 for more information.

How do I obtain a South Gate METRO Card?

Bring a valid picture ID and utility bill with your name and address to the Transit Office (9520 Hildreth Avenue). For K-12 students bring any recent correspondence with the student’s name printed on it (Example: Report Card containing name and address). Please call 323-563-5754 for more information.

When can I purchase a monthly fare?

You may purchase your monthly fare Monday - Friday, Noon - 6 p.m., and 1st and last Saturday of every month from Noon - 3 p.m. Passes are good for 30 days from the first use on the bus. Please call 323-563-5754 for more information.

My tap card is not working. What can I do?

If your TAP card is not working properly contact Metro Customer Service by calling 866-827-8646, and speak to someone regarding your reduced bus pass. Please keep your receipt as proof of purchase.

Do I have to be present to purchase my bus pass?

You are not required to be present to purchase your monthly fare. Someone else may purchase your pass by presenting your valid South Gate METRO Card and TAP card. Call 323-563-5754 to learn more.

Will the fare price change when I begin using a TAP card?

For residents of South Gate the fare price will remain the same: Senior / Disabled $10, K-12 Students $17, College / Vocational $25. To find out more please call 323-563-5754.

Can I buy more than 1 month?

You can load up to 6 months of fare on your TAP card. Call 323-563-5754 to find out more.



What do I need to present in order to register?

Registrants 62 years and older must present a valid state issued photo ID and proof of residency. Acceptable proof includes a utility bill or correspondence from medical providers, school or government agencies containing registrant’s name and South Gate address in printed form. Disabled residents must provide the same documents plus proof of disability. Hand written documents are not accepted. Please call 323-563-5754 for more information.

What days can I register?

Enrollment is available from Monday - Friday, 12:30 - 5:30 p.m. You are encouraged to make an appointment by calling 323-563-5754.

I just registered for the Phone-A-Ride program. When will I receive my card?

Your card will be mailed to you in approximately 3 weeks after the date you registered. You may start using the program when you receive your card. Call 323-563-5754 for more information.

I am renewing my Phone-A-Ride service. Will I be receiving a new Phone-A-Ride card?

Once you renew your card a renewal label will be placed on your card to indicate the status and you will continue to use the same card. For more information call 323-563-5754.

What can I do if my card is lost or stolen?

If your card becomes misplaced please report it to the Transit Office immediately at 323-563-5754. Replacement cards are $5. You will receive your replacement card by mail in about 2 weeks, and may resume using the service at that time.

Staff Directory

Name Title Email Phone
Rodriguez, Fernando Transit Services C.S.R. Email 323-563-5754

Contact Us

Fernando Rodriguez

Transit Services C.S.R.

Transit Services

9520 Hildreth Avenue
South Gate, CA 90280
Phone: 323-563-5754
Fax: 323-357-9630


Except Holidays
Monday - Friday
12:00 pm - 6:00 pm

1st and last Saturday of the month 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm