Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I report Illegal Dumping?

To report items dumped illegally, call Public Works at (323) 563-5785 Monday to Thursday. 

To report items dumped illegally in the evenings or on weekends call the Illegal Dumping Hotline at (323) 563-9575.

Illegal dumping is a crime! Leaving trash and discarded items in alleys and other public spaces looks bad and poses community health and safety hazards and places a major economic burden on the city to clean up the trash. 

City, State and County laws specify strict penalties for people convicted of illegal dumping, which may include fines up to $10,000, seizure of their vehicle and/or six months in jail.

If you witness illegal dumping, report it immediately to the Police Department at (323) 563-5436

Where do I call for large item pickup at my residence?

Call Universal Waste for unwanted item pickup as often as once every month for single family residence. Contact customer service at (562) 334-3660 or online at Universal Waste Services.

Common household bulky or bulk items include: 

  • Mattresses & Box Springs
  • Bed Frames
  • Cabinets
  • Sofa & Furniture Items
  • Other items too large to fit into your regular service container 

Do I have to give you my name and address?

No. However, you may leave your name and number if you wish to be contacted regarding the complaint. Please call 323-563-9558 to register a complaint. 

Where can I report Graffiti to be removed?

Graffiti Removal is offered citywide at no cost by calling the 24-hour Graffiti Hotline at 323-563-5773 or on-line at please include location and a photo (if possible) of graffiti observed. 

Where do I call for animal control services?

SEAACA is committed to answering the community's needs for responsible animal care and control services. Contact customer service at (562) 803-3301 to obtain more information.

Where do I call if I am having problems with my landlord or tenant?

The Fair Housing Foundation is dedicated to eliminating discrimination in housing and promoting equal access to housing choices for everyone. Contact the Fair Housing Foundation at (800) 446-3247 or online at Fair Housing Foundation

Common services include:

  • Landlord and tenant counseling
  • Victim of housing discrimination
  • Rental counseling
  • Outreach and Education

Where do I report overcrowding, rodents and roaches?

The Environmental Health Division of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is responsible for ensuring that residential housing is safe, sanitary, and fit for human habitation. This is accomplished through Routine Inspections of rental property with 5 and/or more units, and investigations of complaints involving any housing sites. Contact the Health Department at (888) 700-9995 or online to submit a report. 

I have a garage that I don't use for parking, can I use for a playroom or bedroom?

Please contact the City's Planning Division at (323) 563-9585 to verify if your property meets the development standards to convert the garage into a living space per the City's Code. Community Development Department Page 

I want to build a small room to store gardening tools and my trash cans. Do I need a permit?

You do not need a permit to build a structure that is 120 square feet or less (approximately 10 feet by 12 feet) without plumbing or electrical.  The structure must be a minimum of 6 feet away from other structures (house or garage), and 3 feet from the property line. Please call the Planning  Division at 323-563-9565 for more information.

What does not require a building permit?

Use the following link to find out what projects do not require building permits: Projects Not Requiring Permits.

What are some of the common items that require a permit?

Please follow the provided link to learn what projects do require a permit: Projects Requiring Permits

Where can I get more information on specific Code Requirements?

City of South Gate Municipal Code