RESIDENTIAL BUILDING AND SAFETY PLAN CHECK PROCESS:
YOUR PROJECT REQUIRES DIGITAL SUBMITTAL AND APPROVALS FROM THE FOLLOWING:
PLANNING DIVISION: 323 563-9514 or 323 563-9526 email@example.com One set of architectural plans is required for review. Fees apply (Must obtain approval before to submitting to Building and Safety)
PUBLIC WORKS: 323 357-5814
Valuations for projects HIGHER than $50,000.00 or over 800 sq ft. require Public Works review and approval. The valuation is based on the scope of work.
Once approved by Planning and Public works, you may submit to Building & Safety.
Building and Safety plan submittal shall include:
- One approved Planning conceptual set.
- One digital set of architectural, structural plans and structural calculations (if applicable, may not be required for a conversion), Title-24, 2019 Cal Green mandatory measures, Plumbing Schematics are required for all new residential units, and accessory dwelling units (ADU’s, Jr ADU’s) and all additions greater than 499 sq ft. (Plumbing Schematics/isometrics (must include hot and cold water lines, gas lines, and vent/drainage of existing dwelling(s) and new unit(s), Electrical Load Calcs (calculations shall include existing dwellings and new). Must also show a complete floor plan of existing dwelling(s) (house). If the structure will have separate meters, you must show all existing meters and all new meter locations – IF YOUR SUBMITTAL IS INCOMPLETE ADDITIONAL FEES APPLY
3. Starting July 01, 2021, all new detached units (ADU & SB9) must submit solar plans. Separate application and fees apply.
Once approved and before the issuance of permits we need the following
**Final sets of plans must match Public Works and Planning approval sets, or revisions must be submitted **
- Completely fill out a 2-page MEP worksheet and send back to us to calculate all fees (one per structure)
- Public Works approval
- Planning final approval stamp
- School fees will need to be paid for conversions, new construction or additions over 500 ft. (make arrangements to pick up school fee forms from our office)
- LA County Sanitation form- obtain clearance and send/bring back to our division. Submit an online application via email. Submit plans for their review at www.lacsd.org Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Call LA County Sanitation if you have any questions at (562) 908-4288
- Southern California Edison approval – Contact Edison for meter spotting, checking clearance to power lines and easements. CALL 1-800-655-4555 (Must obtain approval in writing prior to obtaining a permit
- AQMD approval or explanation on why you don’t need this review. South Coast Air Quality Management (for demolitions and compliance of clean air standards). (800) 388-2121
- WRRP form and Contract with Waste Management for construction debris (to avoid 5% deposit FEE) (800)774-0222 or at www.wm.com/us
If you obtain a contract with the City designated hauler and you decide to cancel and do it by owner, you will need to provide documentation showing all receipts and that you met all the recycle requirements otherwise a final inspection will not be approved until all fees are paid based on the recycle percentage not met.
After passing the final inspection of the permit for which C&D debris recycling deposit was paid, the applicant can request a refund. The total C&D debris recycling deposit paid for the permit may be returned to the applicant if 65% or more of all C&D debris was recycled and/or reused. Refunds for projects recycling less than the required amount will be pro-rated according to the recycling rate achieved by the specific project.
The permit applicant must submit the following within 180 days of passing final inspection:
- A copy of the completed WRRP form, if not already submitted with.
- Evidence, including all recycling, documentation, which clearly demonstrates that the C&D debris generated by the project was recycled at the applicable recycling rate. THE RECEIPTS MUST SHOW THAT THE MATERIALS RECYCLED CAME FROM SOUTH GATE
Bring or mail the completed WRRP form and all documentation to:
City of South Gate
8650 California Ave.
South Gate, CA 90280
Attention: Building and Safety/Olivia Martinez
Requests submitted after 180 days of passing the final inspection date will not be eligible for a refund. In 180 days, incomplete requests that do not submit additional documentation or proof will not be eligible for the refund. PLEASE ALLOW 6- 10 WEEKS TO PROCESS REFUND. If you have any questions, please call between 7-9 a. m. Monday through Thursday (323)563-9549 to speak to your Building Inspector or Building Official.
• Information on who is doing the work/project, owner, or contractor, see below.
For owner builder issued permit:
We need a copy of ID/Driver’s showing the owner resides on the property. Property must have 2 units or less. Provide Workers Compensation insurance if you will have people from outside of your household helping you. If a company or an LLC owns the property, you will need a licensed contractor.
For a Contractor issued permit: Contractors must obtain/renew a City of South Gate Business License. Contact the Business License Division at 323 563-9544 or 323 563-9545. Provide a copy of the current license with fees paid based on the $ valuation for the project. Contractors will need to provide their state license card, ID/Driver’s License, and a copy of workers comp. If you are an agent for the contractor, provide a notarized authorization letter. Subcontractors must also obtain a business license.