Virtual Recreation Center
The City of South Gate’s Parks and Recreation Department encourages community members to continue to stay active, connected and enriched during this time. Below is a list of virtual recreation resources.
*Please note we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of, or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page. This page will be continuously updated with new resources.
4TH OF JULY BLOCK PARTY: HOME EDITION
Eighth Annual Grand Park and The Music Center’s 4TH of July Block Party to go virtual with performances and family fun so Angelenos can join together to celebrate safely.
WATCH ON: July 4, 2020 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM Pacific on KABC Channel 7, and 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM Pacific on Grand Park’s Digital Streaming Platforms
Stay tuned for more details!
Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep. Make time to unwind. Try to do some activities you enjoy.
Train at home with Fitness Tutorials
- Fitness Blender
- Nike Training Club
- NCHPAD - Health at Home
- AARP Fitness Activities for Older Adults
- National Institute on Aging Go4Life
- Article: How to Exercise While Staying at Home (BBC News)
- Article: Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health for Ages 65+ (World Health Organization)
Kids Dance, Sports, Yoga, and More
- Garri Dance Studio Online Class for Toddlers
- Fitness Blender for Kids
- Cosmic Kids Yoga
- GoNoodle - Music and Mindfulness
- Take a walk, bike or run around your neighborhood - make it fun and engaging!
- Do some spring planting or work on your yard
- Go for a drive
***Remember to avoid crowds and maintain a safe social distance of 6’ away from others.***
*Due to County and State orders, park playgrounds are closed. Parks and park restrooms remain open for public use. Recreational facilities and other ’high touch’ and ’high contact’ areas are closed (ballfields, picnic areas, outdoor sports courts, skate park, etc.).
- Connect with others - Catch up with a friend or relative you may have not spoken to. Write a letter. Connect via video chat. Hold a virtual playdate online. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Exercise Mindfulness - Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. It’s important you take the time to practice self-care, even for just a few minutes each day. There are many resources online.
- Take Breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media.
EXPLORE, ENRICH, AND ENGAGE
- Check out the Los Angeles County Library online services - ebooks, stream TV, movies, music and more.
- Try Some Fun Activities
- Free Morning Cartooning with Teacher Noah - Free class via livestream Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
- Daily Doodle lessons by Mo Willems
- FreeKidsCrafts - Lots of categories with ideas, templates and print outs.
- Crafts by Amanda
For more creative options visit our Virtual Arts Resources webpage
Take a Virtual Tour
- Explore using Google Earth, EarthCam or webcamtaxi
- Go on a Virtual Field Trip
- Virtual Tour: America’s Best National Parks
- Virtual Tour: Famous Museums with Google Arts and Culture
- Live Feed: San Diego Zoo
- Live Feed: Kansas City Zoo
- Live Feed: Memphis Zoo
- Digital Show: New York Metropolitan Opera free every night at 7:30 PM