The City of South Gate is here to help you get through this unprecedented public health emergency. It is important that everyone adheres to all the social distancing measures and practice good public health hygiene, including washing hands as frequently as possible.
FREE LA County COVID-19 Testing
Free COVID-19 testing is available to all Los Angeles County residents. Visit the following link for more information about scheduling a test click here.
FREE COVID-19 Programs and Services
A look at South Gate programs and services available to residents during the COVID-19 pandemic. To view, click here.
Recovery Resource Guide
The City prepared a Recovery Resource Guide that provides a list of valuable resources available to the community in response to COVID-19, such as financial recovery assistance, small business grants, health and well-being services and more. Click here to view.
Updated Health Officer Order
The Los Angeles County is moving toward new standards for safe reopening in alignment with the State of California guidelines.For more information please click here.
City Hall Reopening Guidelines
City Hall will re-open its doors to the public on Monday, June 15th, with temporary operating hours of Monday through Thursday, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., by appointment only, however residents will be able to pay their water bill during these hours without an appointment. The public will now be able to conduct business in person, but will be required to wear a face covering and maintain physical distancing while inside the building. Additionally, Community Safety Ambassadors will be conducting wellness checks for all guests entering City Hall. This will include non-invasive, infrared temperature checks and screening questions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Although City Hall will re-open, residents are encouraged to continue accessing City services by email and phone.
A City Hall Reopening Guide has been prepared as a resource guide for the community and visitors that includes the safety protocols implemented for the reopening of City Hall. To view click here: English / Spanish.
As a reminder, the following City facilities will continue to be closed until further notice:
-South Gate Park Facilities
South Gate parks will continue to be open for passive use, such as walking, jogging, and leisure time outdoors for individuals or families. The following park amenities will continue to be closed: playgrounds, basketball courts, swimming pool, fitness equipment, athletic fields and skate park.
LA County Eviction Moratorium
On Tuesday, July 21, the Board of Supervisors approved an extension of the temporary eviction moratorium. The moratorium was extended until September 30, 2020 and may be extended by the Board on a month to month basis. For more information please visit https://dcba.lacounty.gov/noevictions/ or click here
Mental Health Resources
The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health (LACDMH) supports the wellbeing of our County family, friends and colleagues. When you hear, read, or watch news about an outbreak of infectious disease, you may feel anxious and show signs of stress—even when the outbreak affects people far from where you live and you are at low or no risk of getting sick. These signs of stress are normal and may be more likely in people with loved ones in parts of the world affected by the outbreak. During an infectious disease outbreak, care for your own physical and mental health and reach out in kindness to those affected by the situation. For additional information, click here. LACDMH’s 24/7 Access Line at (800) 854-7771 is available to provide mental health support, resources and referrals.
- For the closest food pantry/bank to you, visit: Los Angeles Food Bank Pantry Locator
- Free Senior Lunch Program at the South Gate Senior Center (562) 806-5400
- Everytable is offering meals to everyone. Food distribution for seniors who need food brought to their homes. Food available for students, (323) 458 - 6487.
- Seniors who need food delivery, call Greater Emmanuel Temple at (424) 296-0400
- Food Pantry, Southeast Churches Service Center, 2780 East Gage Avenue, Huntington Park, CA. 90255, (323) 585-8254.
Great Plates Delivered Program
Free meal delivery service is available to South Gate seniors.Great Plates Delivered has two purposes:
- Help seniors and other adults at high risk from COVID-19 to stay home and stay healthy by delivering three nutritious meals a day, and
- Provide essential economic stimulus to local businesses struggling to stay afloat during the COVID-19 crisis.
For more information or to apply visit https://wdacs.lacounty.gov/greatplates/ or call 2-1-1.
Homeless Prevention and Counseling Program
The City’s Homeless Prevention and Counseling program is operated by Helpline Youth Counseling and assists low-income South Gate residents at risk of experiencing homelessness with rental payments, security and utility deposits. For more information, call (213) 226-0969 or visit hycinc.org.
Suspension of Utility Service Disconnections
To help families with financial hardship due to COVID-19, the City’s Water Division, SoCalGas and Southern California Edison are not suspending service or disconnecting customers who are unable to pay their bill until further notice. For more information, contact the service provider below:
City Water Division: (323) 563-9586
Southern California Edison: 1-800-655-4555
Workforce Development Program
The City’s Workforce Development Program will be operated by HUB Cities and will assist job seekers in obtaining employment and strengthening their skill set. Job seekers will receive assistance with résumé and job application preparation as well as job search support. This program will also offer various workshops and training classes that teach interview techniques and provide career guidance. For more information, visit hubcities.com or call (323) 586-4707.
Report a non-essential business operating
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
File a complaint online
You may also call the City’s Community Development Department to report the violation at (323) 563-9549.
Report prohibited gatherings
South Gate Police Dispatch
Report price gouging
(800) 593-8222 or file an online complaint
COVID-19 Business Resources, click here
- Proclamation Extending the Local Emergency
- COVID-19 Programs and Services
- In-Memoriam: COVID-19
- Virtual Recreation Center - Stay Active and Connected
- Virtual Business Resource Center
- Suspension of Utility Service Disconnections
- Executive Order to Restrict Eviction of Commercial and Residential Tenants
- Proclamation Declaring the Existence of a Local Emergency
- South Gate’s Water Quality Remains Unaffected by COVID-19
New Statewide Guidance
- Governor Newsom signs Executive Order that waives penalties for property taxes paid after April 10 for taxpayers who have experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Governor Newsom Announces Workers’ Compensation Benefits for Workers who Contract COVID-19 During Stay at Home Order
- Governor Newsom unveiled six key indicators that will guide California’s thinking for when and how to modify the stay-at-home and other orders during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order to Provide Expanded Access to Child Care for Essential Workers During COVID-19 Response
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Expand Telehealth Services
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Protect Consumers from Price Gouging
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order Protecting Homes, Small Businesses from Water Shutoffs
- Governor Newsom Launches Campaign to Protect Health and Well-Being of Older Californians During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Governor Newsom Announces California Health Corps, a Major Initiative to Expand Health Care Workforce to Fight COVID-19
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order Providing Relief to CA Small Businesses
- Governor Newsom Announces Major Financial Relief Package: 90-Day Mortgage Payment Relief During COVID-19 Crisis
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order to Allow Timely Delivery of Vital Goods During COVID-19 Outbreak
- California Releases New COVID-19 Guidance for K-12 Schools
- Governor Newsom Places National Guard Personnel on Alert to Support COVID-19 Community Readiness
- Governor Newsom Signs Emergency Legislation to Fight COVID-19
- California Requests Federal Government Waiver to Cover Medi-Cal Recipients and Expand Tele-Health Options
Frequently Asked Questions
- LA County Department of Public Health FAQs - English
- LA County Department of Public Health FAQs - Spanish
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Infectious Disease Preparedness for Homeless Assistance Providers
- Los Angeles Unified Opens 60 Grab & Go Food Centers for students
- What you need to know about handwashing Video
- COVID-19 Symptoms -English / Spanish
- Stop the Spread of Germs- English / Spanish
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Update on Closures at LA County Parks (March 16, 2020)
- The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America
- LA County Library Closures and Updates
- Free access to Spectrum Wi-Fi for 60 Days for K-12 and college students.
- Free access to L’il Libros worksheets for kids.
- Free educational PBS daytime programming designated for each grade level.
- MIND Research Institute is offering no cost access to a free math instructional program for students in grades K-8. For more information, click here.
- Scholastic offers free, online learning experiences for kids of all ages. For more information, click here.
- The Los Angeles Tenants Union is providing support around evictions. Find your local union here.
- LA County Business and Worker Resource & Disaster Help Center
- Free Delivery Services for Older and Dependent Adults