Virtual Business Center
The City of South Gate understands that recent health directives related to COVID-19 have heavily impacted local businesses. During these difficult times, the City will continue to support our South Gate business community.
South Gate Small Business Grants- Applications Due January 18th, 2021
Attention South Gate Small Businesses! The City of South Gate and the South Gate Chamber of Commerce are offering one-time up to $7,500 grants to help small businesses retain staff and continue to provide quality services to its residents. The program is made possible with federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), therefore businesses must meet all requirements to be eligible for the program.
To learn more about the Grant, please contact the Executive Director of the South Gate Chamber of Commerce Ana Elizarraras at (323) 567-1203 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to the grant, please fill out the grant Application that will be available starting January 11th at 9:00am.
The Deadline to Apply to the program will be January 18th at 5:00PM.
To fill out an application, please click here.
To view the program guidelines, please click here.
Deadline Extended for First Round of Small Business COVID- 19 Relief Grant Program Applications
California’s Office of the Small Business Advocate (CalOSBA), part of the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz), announced that the deadline for the first round of applications for the Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program will be extended until January 13, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
This grant program is not first come, first served, nor a rolling approval process. All applications will be reviewed following the now extended application deadline.
The State’s selected intermediary, Lendistry, a Community Development Financial Institution, is working with other mission-based lenders and small business advisory and technical assistance providers to help small businesses with the application process in multiple languages and formats. Many of the State-supported small business centers, which prioritize the expansion of technical assistance to underserved business groups, are also available to help.
For more information on grant requirements and eligibility please visit careliefgrant.com.
Commercial Facade Improvement Program- Now Accepting Applications
Contact Dianne Guevara, Management Analyst at email@example.com /(323) 563-9535.
Restaurant Businesses Currently Open
For a list of essential businesses offering takeout, delivery, and/or curbside service, please click here.
If you are a restaurant or retail business impacted by the COVID-19 health directives, please let the City know your hours and scope of operation (full closure, take-out, deliveries, pre-order, etc.) by filling out this Google Form, you will be added to the essential list of businesses.
LA Roadmap To Recovery
Reopening guidelines continue to change on a weekly/daily basis. For businesses interested in learning more about the most recent Reopening protocols, please click here to learn more.
Please be aware that every business wanting to reopen must comply with the guidelines established by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health and any other regulating agencies. For a full list of Guidelines, please click here.
- Reopening protocols for businesses:
- Reopening protocols for Hair Salons, Barbershops, and Personal Care Services:
- County Health Officer Order:
City of South Gate- Temporary Outdoor Business Expansion Permit
No-Fee Temporary Use Permits (TUPs) to allow temporary outdoor business activities on site, sidewalks, City property, and/or parking lots until the LA County Department of Public Health releases guidelines consistent with California Stage 4 regulations. The TUP shall be subject to the Community Development Director’s approval under the State of California’s Covid-19 Emergency Order.
Please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing:
- Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permit Application
- Site plan including dimensions of proposed outdoor area and
- Certificate of insurance naming the City of South Gate as additional insured in the amount of $1,000,000
Please be aware that every business must comply with the guidelines established by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health and any other regulating agencies.
For questions on the Temporary Outdoor Business Expansion Permit, please contact the Planning Division at (323) 563-9526, or by email at email@example.com.
Revised Safer at Home Order Requirements for Businesses
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health extended the Safer at Home order. Non-essential businesses and activities will remain closed, and physical distancing and face coverings for workers and customers are required. All workers who work at essential businesses or perform essential services must wear face coverings over their noses and mouths while performing their work. These face coverings must be provided by the employer at the employer’s expense. Essential businesses have until 11:59 p.m. on April 15 to implement this new requirement.
Additionally, all customers and visitors of essential businesses must wear face coverings over their noses and mouths. The face coverings should not be medical-grade masks or N95 respirators reserved for healthcare workers and other first responders. Instead, the general public should wear fabric coverings, such as scarves and bandana coverings, or single-use face coverings. All workers required to wear face coverings must wash any reusable face coverings daily for the health and safety of themselves and others. Single-use face coverings must be properly discarded into trash receptacles.
As per the order, an essential business owner may deny service to anyone not wearing a face covering. All employers must continue to implement social distancing measures for employees, customers, and visitors that provide a six-foot buffer, to the extent possible, between individuals.
Additionally, the County in requiring non-medical essential businesses that are open to the public to complete a social distancing protocol form for each of their facilities. This document will contain a checklist of social distancing, hygiene and public health requirements for each business.
The protocol form must be posted at or near the entrance to each business, and must be distributed to each employee, no later than 11:59 PM on April 15. Copies of the Protocol form are available for download here. For questions regarding the social distancing protocol requirement please contact the LA County Department of Public Health at (888) 700-9995.
Great Plates Delivered Program Available for Restaurants
Calling all restaurants! If you’re a restaurant owner, you may be thinking of ways to reengage with the community, as you look to recover from the economic impacts of COVID-19. If so, Great Plates Delivered program might be a good opportunity for you. The program, which aims to assist those in need of home delivered meals and to help get local restaurant, hospitality and transportation communities back to work, provides three meals a day to qualifying older adults. If you’re interested in participating in the Great Plates Delivered program, please review the following information:
- Eligibility Requirements for LA County Restaurants
- Nutritional Requirements for Meals
- Step by Step Process for Contracting with LA County, with:
- Data and Reporting Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- LA County Department of Public Health Guidelines
The restaurant enrollment process includes five steps. If you’re ready to enroll, you’ll want to:
- Fill out the LA County online application.
- Confirm and sign the Master Agreement. See a sample.
- Register as an LA County Vendor here.
- Receive Work Order (based on demand).
- Set up Method of Payment.
Note: Restaurants who’ve already submitted the Food Provider Interest Form (with the State of California) must also fill out the online application for LA County to be considered.
Individuals can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 211. Restaurants can e-mail email@example.com. For contract-related questions, e-mail GPDPcontracts@wdacs.lacounty.gov.
Grocery Store Special Hours
To view a list of grocers that are offering special shopping hours for senior citizens and those with underlying health conditions please click here.
For a Community Resource List, please click here.
For a list of tips for businesses and essential employees to stay safe during COVID-19, please click here.
Los Angeles County Resources
Los Angeles County started the Business and Worker Disaster Help Center and has implemented a call center to meet the needs of businesses impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. To call their call center please call (833) 238-4450 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Business and Worker Disaster Help Center will offer information and resources to help LA County businesses navigate the current economic climate. These resources will support businesses with challenges such as lay-off aversion, SBA and County loans, utility reduction programs, and community resources mapping. There will be Spanish Translations available.
To view the COVID-19 Business Resource Guide provided by the County of LA, please click here.
To view a handout of LA County Emergency Resources for Small Businesses, please click here.
Small Business Administration (SBA) Loans
The SBA is here to help businesses overcome the challenges created by this health crisis. They offer multiple funding options for those seeking relief. Read more by clicking here.
- Paycheck Protection Program: This loan program provides loan forgiveness for retaining employees by temporarily expanding the traditional SBA 7(a) loan program. To read more please click here.
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan Emergency Advance: This loan advance will provide up to $10,000 of economic relief to businesses that are currently experiencing temporary difficulties. To read more please click here.
- SBA Express Bridge Loans: Enables small businesses who currently have a business relationship with an SBA Express Lender to access up to $25,000 quickly. To read more please click here.
- SBA Debt Relief: The SBA is providing a financial reprieve to small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. To read more please click here.
To contact an SBA Counselor regarding the various programs and loans, please call (323) 881-3964.
Tax Relief and Deferment Programs
Because of COVID-19, various state and federal tax file and pay deadlines have moved. Your business may also qualify for payment installations, depending on its size or total annual revenue.
- For more information on Property Taxes, please click here.
- Request partial payments or cancellation penalties.
- Extensions are not available.
- Payroll Taxes and Reports: 60-day extension available from the State to file state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest. To read more, please click here.
- Sales Tax
- For more information from the CA Department of Tax and Fee Administration, please click here.
- Relief and Extension: 90-day extension available on all businesses filing a return for under $1 million in taxes. To View more details, please click here.
- Small Business Relief Payment Plan. Qualifying businesses with less than $5 million in annual taxable sales can apply to defer payment on up to $50,000 in sales and tax liability, payable over 12 interest-free installments.
- For help, contact CDTFA customer service at (800) 400-7115 or visit cdfta.ca.gov.
- Federal Deadline Extension
- All deadlines to file and pay federal taxes are extended to July 15, 2020, unless further extended. For additional details on this, please click here.
- Utilize Local Resources to Help Promote & Support. Buy Local and our community partners are here for you.
- Support Local Businesses.
- Assess whether your business can remain open. Clarify essential job functions, eliminate redundancies, and cross-train personnel to perform essential functions if key staff members are absent.
- Revisit your business plan
- Contact your Insurance Provider and Lender. Call them to determine if your policy includes business disruption insurance coverage.
- Review your Lease for Rent Abatement Provisions. Most landlords should also have insurance coverage with disruption insurance clauses. Also make sure they are aware of the City of South Gate`s Resolution on COVID-19 related commercial evictions.
- Create a business continuity plan if you don’t already have one and an infectious disease outbreak plan.
- Gather corporate documents, both in hardcopy and electronic formats. These might include corporate formation documents, lease and legal agreements, licenses and permits, insurance policies, financial statements, and tax records, among others.
Small Business Saturday- November 28, 2020
The City of South Gate`s Economic Development Division encourages everyone to reinvest in the South Gate economy by shopping local on Small Business Saturday, November 28. This annual highlight promotes South Gate’s small businesses by encouraging residents and visitors to spend their holiday shopping dollars with local businesses such as restaurants, and independent stores. Positioned after Black Friday, Small Business Saturday serves as a critical launch into the holiday shopping season for many small businesses.
Founded in 2010 by American Express, and officially cosponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) since 2011, Small Business Saturday is a national celebration of small businesses. It is an opportunity to come together, while masked-up, to show support for friends and neighbors. Small businesses are foundational to a healthy economy. Although shopping local benefits communities year-round, the busiest holiday shopping weekend of the year is a great occasion to choose small businesses first. According to the SBA more than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, and small businesses create about two-thirds of new jobs in the U.S. each year. The positive benefits of shopping local extend far beyond individual transactions.
Reminder for all Small Business Saturday shoppers: Stay safe by wearing a mask, maintaining at least 6 feet of space between you and others, or shopping online to help minimize the spread of COVID-19. Stay home if you are feeling any symptoms.
- LA County Help Center
- CA Department of Labor and Workforce Agency – helpful overview of resources for employers and workers including Disability and Unemployment Insurance, Paid Family Leave, Cal/OSHA worker protection, health and safety guidance.
- CA Employment Development Department (EDD) provides resources for employees who have been unable to work or businesses considering layoffs.
- Payment Protection Program for Small Businesses
- US Chamber of Commerce: Small Business Guide
- Rapid Response Services (PDF)
- Work Sharing Program
- Disability Insurance Claims
- Paid Family Leave - if caring for an ill or quarantined family member
- Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit payments
- Reduced Work Hours and School Closures may be eligible to receive UI Benefits
- American Job Center – Career One Stop - Offers assistance in completing unemployment applications.
- State of California, Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GO-Biz) COVID-19 Resources
- State of California COVID-19 Resources
- State of California Treasurer’s Office — 2020 Small Business Resources
- California Restaurant Association Coronavirus Information and Resources
- Download the sign for your parking meters.
Direct links to COVID-19 related webpages across local, state, and federal government.
- State of California – COVID 19 Response site
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)
- California Small Business Development Center
- State Treasurer Fiona Ma (spreadsheet)
For questions, please contact the Community Development Department at (323) 563-9535 or by email at email@example.com.
Stay informed on what’s happening in South Gate
- Sign up for "Notify Me" by clicking here.
- To receive City updates and Emergency alerts: Please Click here.
- City of South Gate Business newsletter:
- Social media: