A person is "indigent" if they meet any of the following conditions:

  1. The person meets the income criteria set forth in subdivision(b) of Section 68632 of Governement Code
  2. The person receives public benefits from any of the program listed in subdivision(a) of Section 68632 of Government code

Government Code Section 68632

Section (a)

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • California Work Opportunity (CalWorks)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
  • County Relief, General Relief (GR) or General Assistance (GA)
  • Cash Assistance Program for Aged, Blind and Disabled Legal Immigrants
  • In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
  • Medi-Cal

Section (b) : An applicant whose monthly income is 125 percent or less of the current poverty guidelines updated periodically in the Federal Register by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

If you would like more information about Assembly Bills 503 & 2544, click on the links: AB503 and AB2544

To see if you qualify for indigent assistance, visit