California has a traditionally dry climate, making it important for us to make water conservation a way of life and use water wisely. Good conservation practices help ensure a reliable water supply into our future. The City has permanent water restrictions which are shown below to help conserve water.
Water Conservation Schedule and Restrictions
- Outdoor watering will be allowed all days of the week except between the hours of 9am to 6pm.
- Washing down sidewalks and driveways.
- Irrigating outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excess run off.
- Washing a motor vehicle with a hose, unless fitted with a shut-off nozzle.
- Irrigating turf of ornamental landscapes during and within 48 hours following measureable
Water Conservation Tips
Outdoor Water Use
- Identity and fix water leaks.
- Refrain from washing down sidewalks and driveways.
- Avoid irrigating landscapes in a manner that causes excess run off.
- Shut off fountains or decorative water features, unless the water is part of a recirculation system.
In order to conserve water, the City of South Gate encourages replacing your existing lawn with drought tolerant landscaping. However, the City of South Gate’s codes require that the entire front and side yards must be landscaped with a live plant material.
To assist residents with creating a plan for drought tolerant landscaping, please refer to the County of Los Angeles drought tolerant landscape guidelines. A link to these guidelines can be found here.
Further assistance can be found by visiting the Community Development Department’s Planning Division at City Hall or by calling 323-563-9526.