Entry-Level Police Officer Eligibility Requirements
- Education and Experience - Applicant must have high school diploma or possess G.E.D. certificate.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities - Ability to:
- Observe, learn, understand and interpret various laws, police practices and procedures.
- Analyze problems and have the potential to rationally and calmly take appropriate action in emergency and stressful situations.
- Undergo strenuous physical conditioning.
- Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports in English.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with persons of widely varying socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Understand and carry-out oral and written directions.
- Other Requirements - Must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship. Must be at least 20-1/2 years of age at time of appointment. Must possess a valid California Driver’s License at time of appointment. Must meet all requirements for admission to Basic Police Academy recognized by California Commission on Police Officer Standards and Training.
- Successful completion within previous 3 year period of Basic Police Academy which meets all the requirements of the California Commission on Police Standards and Training (POST)
- Employment within the last 12 months in position requiring California Basic POST Certificate