The Planning Division ensures all development adheres to the long term goals and objectives of the city’s General Plan which serves as the city’s roadmap and guides the overall form of the city. The Planning Division reviews proposed residential, commercial, industrial and open space development for consistency with the standards and policies adopted by the city, and ensure quality of life is prioritized by way of compatibility, design and economic viability. Depending on the nature of a project, an approval may be issued administratively or by way of discretionary action by the Planning Commission, or the City Council.
You may either submit plans in-person or by mail. To submit in-person, you must set up an appointment to submit plans by either emailing email@example.com or by calling (323) 563-9514. Appointments can be made in 30-minute time slots from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, Monday – Thursday. No walk-ins allowed. Please note that Planning Staff is away from their email and phone from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. All messages will be responded to within one business day. Delays are expected during this time period. Projects that would typically be processed over the counter may now take up to two (2) weeks to process. All other projects that require review by the Planning Division will take up to four (4) weeks to process. We apologize for this inconvenience.
COVID-19 Plan Check Submittal Process
Planning Department Review
- Call the Planning at (323) 563-9526 or email a description of your project to Erika Ramirez, firstname.lastname@example.org to verify what you are planning to build meets the City’s residential development standards. Submit a Planning Review Form or an ADU/JADU Review Form, three (3) sets of architectural plans in addition to the other items listed on page 2 of the review form, and a check in the amount of $234 (residential) or $490 (commercial) made payable to the City of South Gate by mail to: The City of South Gate Community Development Department, Attn: Planning Division, 8650 California Ave., South Gate, CA 90280. Please note that City Hall is closed on Fridays.
- A project planner will be assigned. The project planner will review the plans for compliance with the Zoning Code.
- The project planner will either provide the applicant with corrections or authorize the plans for submittal to the Building Department for plan check. If corrections are required, the applicant will re-submit revised plans directly to the project planner.
- Once plans are approved by planning, the project planner will instruct the applicant to contact Building and Safety at (323) 563-9568 for Building and Safety Plan Check Review. If the project is over 800 sq. ft. or a new structure the applicant shall contact Public Works at (323) 357-5814 to determine plan submittal process.
- General Plan
- Zoning Ordinance
- Gateway District Specific Plan
- Tweedy Blvd Specific Plan
- Hollydale Specific
- Form Base Development Code
- Development Review Process (Design Review)